Weight Loss Surgery Center
The fully accredited Weight Loss Surgery Center at St. Charles provides a comprehensive continuum of care featuring innovative, minimally-invasive surgical procedures performed with the same compassion and expertise that has distinguished St. Charles for more than 100 years. The center treats adults and adolescents aged 15 to 18 and accepts all medicaid and medicaid managed plans.
The benefits of weight loss surgery are numerous and often times, dramatic. With patients losing up to 75 to 80% of their excess body weight, serious medical issues are often times resolved. Patients with hypertension and type II non-insulin dependent diabetes are able to come off medication while conditions such as sleep apnea, asthma, reflux, shortness of breath and joint pain are greatly improved, if not completely resolved. There is also a significant improvement in quality of life and lifespan, as morbid obesity can reduce lifespan as much as 20 percent.
Considerable weight loss not only reduces the risk of serious disease but can actually reverse some conditions as follows:
- 80 percent of non-insulin dependent diabetics are no longer diabetic
- High blood pressure is resolved in nearly 50 percent of patients who lose weight
- Majority of patients with sleep apnea no longer have disrupted breathing at night
- Acid reflux and heartburn can be resolved
- Improvement in shortness of breath, circulation and mobility
- Improvement in joint, back and arthritic pain
To begin your weight loss journey with the team at St. Charles Hospital, please call (631) 474-6797.
In order to be considered for weight loss surgery individuals must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 64
- at least 50 lbs overweight
- have tried dieting, medication, and other means of weight loss without success
- able to participate in long-term care follow-up
St. Charles Hospital offers monthly education and informational presentations for individuals who are considering weight loss surgery. To locate a free, informational seminar in your area, please click HERE.