St. Charles is a regional expert in stroke rehabilitation, returning patients to their home or community sooner while preparing them to remain there.
Our stroke rehabilitation program is recognized as a Stroke Specialty Program by CARF, the global leader in rehabilitation accreditation. Our physicians are physiatrists, doctors specializing in rehabilitation medicine, and our nurses are certified rehabilitation nurses. (CRRNs).
Here, highly-skilled therapists empower our patients as they work to recover the ability to walk, talk, eat, and care for themselves. Treatment plans are customized to each patients' personal goals and involve the patient's family and support system.
At. St. Charles, patients have access to the world's most advanced technology, such as deep brain stimulation and the exoskeleton, a wearable robotic frame. St. Charles also offers research-based complimentary treatments not widely available elsewhere, such as acupuncture for stroke symptom management and visual motor imagery techniques to help retrain the stroke-altered brain.
More than 97% of former patients would recommend our Stroke Rehabilitation program to friends and family.
Features of the program include:
Advanced, Acute Rehabilitation Care
- Core therapies (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech language therapy) provided a minimium of three hours per day, five days a week. Research shows that acute rehabilitation care delivers improved outcomes compared to sub-acute care. LEARN MORE
- 24-hour care from Certified Rehabilitation Nurses (CRRNs)
Opportunitites to Participate in Stroke Research
Comprehensive, Compassionate Care
- Stroke Rehabilitation Education program helps patients understand their diagnosis and the rehabilition process
- Family orientation and regular family meetings help build a strong support system for patients during treatment and beyond
- SteppingOn, a research-based program designed to empower patients and prevent falls after discharge
- Recreational Therapy (Music Therapy, Art Therapy, Pet Therapy, Tai Chi and more)
- Stroke support group for patients currently admitted for rehabilitation, as well as those who have been discharged from our program
For more information about Stroke Rehabilitation at St. Charles, please call (631) 474-6797.