Weight Loss Surgery Center
For questions about Weight Loss Surgery at St. Charles Hospital, please call (631) 474-6797.
The Weight Loss Surgery Center at St. Charles is a nationally accredited Bariatric Surgery Center and features some of the top bariatric surgeons in New York performing that most advanced weight loss procedures to help you stop obesity for life.
Our commitment to a comprehensive care means that we treat both adults and adolescents (ages 15 to 18) and offer solutions for every step of your weight loss journey with St. Charles, whether you need surgery or not.
St. Charles Hospital's Weight Loss Surgery Center accepts all medicaid and medicaid managed plans.
A Team Approach
Your St. Charles weight loss team is comprised of more than 16 experts who can empower you to change your life to improve your health. Meet the renown weight loss surgeons who oversee the team.
Our weight loss physicians are among the top Bariatric surgeons in New York and pioneers in the development and use of cutting-edge weight loss techniques. Bariatric surgeons at St. Charles perform robotic assisted surgeries utilizing St. Charles Hospital's fourth-generation da Vinci, the da Vinci Xi.
- Medically Managed Weight Loss
- Robotic-Assisted Weight Loss Surgery
- Gastric Balloon (single and dual balloon)
- Gastric Banding
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch: a procedure which combines a sleeve gastrectomy with an intestinal bypass to create long-term weight loss
- Weight Loss Surgery for Adolescents aged 15 through 17 years old
Weight Loss Education and Peer Support
St. Charles offers you multiple opportunities to connect with our bariatric experts and determine which of our weight loss solutions is right for you. We also host a support group to help you connect with other Long Islanders who have already had weight loss surgery and who, like you, are committed to stopping obesity for life. To locate a free seminar at St. Charles Hospital, please click HERE.
The benefits of weight loss surgery are numerous and often times, dramatic. With patients losing up to 75 to 80% of their excess body weight, serious medical issues are often times resolved. Patients with hypertension and type II non-insulin dependent diabetes are able to come off medication while conditions such as sleep apnea, asthma, reflux, shortness of breath and joint pain are greatly improved, if not completely resolved. There is also a significant improvement in quality of life and lifespan, as morbid obesity can reduce lifespan as much as 20 percent.
Considerable weight loss not only reduces the risk of serious disease but can actually reverse some conditions as follows:
- 80 percent of non-insulin dependent diabetics are no longer diabetic
- High blood pressure is resolved in nearly 50 percent of patients who lose weight
- Majority of patients with sleep apnea no longer have disrupted breathing at night
- Acid reflux and heartburn can be resolved
- Improvement in shortness of breath, circulation and mobility
- Improvement in joint, back and arthritic pain
In order to be considered for weight loss surgery individuals must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 64
- at least 50 lbs overweight
- have tried dieting, medication, and other means of weight loss without success
- able to participate in long-term care follow-up
St. Charles Hospital has received full accreditation as a comprehensive bariatric surgery center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).Learn more