Weight Loss Surgery for Adolescents
The Weight Loss Surgery Center at St. Charles Hospital is one of a handful on Long Island accredited to provide bariatric surgery for adolescents aged 15-17 years old.
Weight loss surgery for adolescents addresses obesity, a disease in which excess weight has trigged multiple weight-related conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea and more. Surgical weight loss procedures help teens shed the extra weight in order to improve or, ultimately, cure their weight-related conditions.
The Center offers:
- Thorough evaluation by pediatricians, weight loss surgeons, registered dieticians, pediatric cardiologists and pulmonoligists, and child psychologists.
- Behavior modification and lifestyle changes to help teens lose weight without surgery
- Medications to help teens manage weight-related conditions without surgery
- Weight loss surgery if previous non-surgical treatments fail
- Continued physician consultation, nutritional counseling, psychological support and more following surgery
Our clinic experts are experienced in working with adolescents and the Center's comprehensive weight-loss methods consider all aspects of young patients' development, including their physical, social, psychological, emotional and spiritual needs. St. Charles physicians only recommend weight loss surgery for teens when non-surgical weightloss methods have not improved weight-related conditions. Young patients and their parents are actively involved in making decisions at every step.
Hear from St. Charles Hospital's Director of Pediatrics on how bariatric surgery could benefit some adolescents.Read More
St. Charles Hospital has received full accreditation as a comprehensive bariatric surgery center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).Learn more