Congratulations on having your surgery at St. Charles Hospital.
Our goal is to ensure that you have a safe, positive surgical experience. We encourage you to take an active role in your care.Depending on your medical history or the type of procedure you are having, presurgical testing and/or medical clearance may be required before you can have surgery at St. Charles. Patients should discuss testing with their physician prior to any procedure.
Here is the presurgical process:
1. Your surgeon contacts St. Charles Hospital and secures a date for your surgery.
2. After your surgeon has scheduled your surgery with St. Charles, a representative from the hospital’s Presurgical Testing Department calls you within 3-5 days to arrange your appointment for presurgical testing. If you do not receive a phone call within that time, please call Presurgical Testing Registration at (631) 474-6645 between the hours of 8am-6pm Monday-Friday. If you leave a message your call will be returned within 24 business hours.
3. Your presurgical testing appointment will be either 1 or 2 weeks prior to the date of your surgery, dependent upon your insurance coverage.
4. We strongly encourage all testing to be completed at St. Charles. However, if you are having a joint replacement you are required to have medical clearance and your presurgical testing MUST be completed at St. Charles. It is important to see your medical doctor at least 6 days prior to your surgery to ensure all testing and clearances are completed well in advance of any surgical procedure.
5. If your surgeon determines you are in need of a cardiac evaluation, you should schedule this appointment as soon as possible. You DO NOT need to come in for presurgical testing PRIOR to seeing your cardiologist. Cardiology evaluations can be completed as early as 3 months prior to your surgical date.
6. If you are asked to see any other specialists (endocrine, dental, vascular, pulmonary, etc) please make these appointments as soon as possible. You DO NOT need to have presurgical testing prior to these appointments. If you are unsure whether you need specialist clearance, please do not hesitate to call St. Charles Hospital's PreSurgical Testing Department and speak with one of our nurses for guidance. It is extremely important that clearance appointments are scheduled promptly to avoid delays or cancellations of your procedure. Please keep in mind that many physicians have full schedules, and waiting to make an appointment with them may result in being unable to have your clearance completed in time for it to be received and evaluated prior to your scheduled procedure date.
7. On the day of your presurgical testing appointment, enter the hospital through the chapel entrance (purple awning) and proceed straight ahead to Presurgical Testing Registration, located at the end of the hallway. Please be sure to bring your license or other valid photo ID, your insurance card and a completed Presurgical Testing Form. Download and print the form here. You can fax the form to St. Charles before you arrive for your Presurgical Testing Department appointment. Fax Number: (631) 474-6122
8. Once you have registered, you will be directed to the Presurgical Testing Department, which is located on the same floor as Presurgical Testing Registration.
For questions regarding presurgical testing, please call Presurgical Testing Registration at (631) 474-6645.