Welcome from James O'Connor
For more than a century, the story of St. Charles Hospital has been one of dedication, compassion and love. It began September 20, 1905, when four French Sisters, representing the order of the Daughters of Wisdom, descended the steps of a train into the Village of Port Jefferson. It was the final leg in their long journey from France, to teach children at the local boarding school. However, several months after their arrival, the Sisters found themselves unemployed when the boarding school closed due to poor enrollment. Bishop McDonnell, of the Diocese in Brooklyn, learned of their plight and asked if they would accept 27 blind, disabled and homeless children into their care. The Sisters quickly agreed and on February 27, 1907, the children arrived by train into the loving care of the French sisters. On November 18, 1907, diocesan officials approved the newly named Brooklyn Home for Blind and Crippled Children as a membership corporation.
The inauspicious beginning of St. Charles Hospital laid the groundwork for a century of compassionate and skilled care. The evolution of the hospital since 1907 is remarkable. Today, a team effort is required to offer superior medical services and technology. Physicians, nurses, rehabilitation experts, social workers, patient advocates and other health care professionals work collaboratively, providing patients with highly skilled, comprehensive health care.
From the start, the support of the community has enabled St. Charles to grow and evolve. Generous community members provided funds in 1907 that enabled a new, three-floor hospital/home, accommodating 250 children, to be built at the top of the highest spot in Port Jefferson. Much of this original building stands today. This year, again with the support of the community, St. Charles is finalizing plans with Good Shepard Hospice to build a 16-bed hospice unit where the former BOCES School stands on the St. Charles campus.
The field of health care is constantly evolving and changing; raising issues we have to address to continue to provide you with the most advanced technology and skilled care available. However, the bottom line at St. Charles has always been, and continues to be, the health and well being of the people in the communities we serve.
The entire staff at St. Charles is excited about the future and our ability to make an essential difference in people's lives. In 2007, we celebrated our 100th Anniversary and the beginning of a new century of service to this community. We continue, with renewed dedication, our compassionate mission while providing you with access to the most advanced technology and skilled health care available. We are committed to offering compassion, sensitivity and respect to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of each and every patient and their family.