Total Joint Rehabilitation
St. Charles Rehabilitation provides a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program following hip or knee replacement surgery. St. Charles Hospital is a leader in total joint replacement surgery in Suffolk County and accepts patients from other facilities into the rehabilitation program as well.
A short-term stay is designed to restore the patient’s function and capabilities. A team approach to rehabilitation coordinates the various aspects of care. Members of the team include physiatrists (physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation), nurses, therapists (physical, occupational, and recreational), orthotists, dieticians, care managers and social workers that evaluate the patient in order to individualize a plan of care. Patient and family involvement is key to the successful outcome of rehabilitation.
The goals of the inpatient total joint replacement rehabilitation program include:
- Treatments specific to knee (continuous passive motion machines) or hip replacement surgery (total hip precautions)
- Effective Pain management
- Increase of strength and range of motion of impaired muscles and joints
- Performance of ADL’s – bathing, dressing, toileting, homemaking
- Transfer training – getting out of bed, chair, car
- Ambulation and stair training with walker, crutches or cane
- Education and Maintenance of prescribed weight bearing status as indicated
An integral part of the total joint rehabilitation program is education. Patients will learn the importance of continuing a therapeutic exercise program at home, the importance of medication compliance and anticoagulant therapy and the alleviation of additional stress on weight bearing joints through proper nutrition.
To accomplish these goals, St. Charles Rehabilitation offers a continuum of care including inpatient and outpatient services.
For more information about Total Joint Rehabilitation at St. Charles, please call (631) 474-6797.