Quality and Outcomes
At St. Charles Hospital, achieving exceptional quality and patient safety involves a commitment from all levels within the organization. That is why the hospital follows strict, evidence-based quality and safety practices. The staff is committed to providing quality care, voluntarily and publicly sharing its performance data and the continual evaluation of clinical processes. This ensures that care is provided in a manner that is aligned with the mission, as well as ethical and religious directives.
Some highlights from St. Charles Hospital include:
(Click on image below to enlarge)
- In December 2015 HCAHPS scores, earned 84% for willingness to recommend, exceeding the state average of 66% and national average of 71%
- Six Sigma team to improve physical medicine and rehabilitation patient satisfaction
- Participation in data and measures for the Long Island Health Network/Blue Cross QHIP (Quality-in-Sights Hospital Incentive Program)
- Department heads and senior staff participate in the MARS WalkAbout Program, visiting units on a regular basis to discuss any issues with reports submitted to the Patient Safety Committee and address concerns, resulting in successful outcomes
- St. Charles Hospital's dedication and focus on maintaining a Culture of Safety for our patients and employees is evidenced throughout the hospital and is surveyed annually to help steer our continuing improvement initiatives. Click here to see the results of our most current culture of safety survey.
- Post-discharge follow-up calls are made to patients diagnosed with congestive heart failure or stroke to ensure patients are improving and for patient satisfaction; nurse managers provide education on medication reconciliation and review discharge instructions on these calls
- Partnering with skilled nursing facilities to reduce readmissions through medication education and reconciliation, and identification of high-risk patients
- In the PEARL (Patient Experience by Active Rounding of Leadership) Program, hospital leadership is seeing 82% of patients within 24 to 48 hours of admission, with issues addressed the same day, and the iPEARL Huddle occurs monthly to review comments and act on suggestions
- Recertification in 2014 by The Joint Commission for stroke, total knee replacement and total hip replacement, and advanced certification of Palliative Care Services
- St. Charles' Hospital's ThinkSMART! Concussion Management Program provides comprehensive medical services to manage and coordinate care from initial injury, through recovering and ultimately back to the playinf field. Ongoing community outreach and education is provided to athlete, parents and coaches, trainers and other healthcare providers. The program offers free nuero-cognitive baseline testing and currently had 45 participating school districts across Suffolk and Nassau County.
- Interdisciplinary Patient Safety Committee meets monthly to address trended occurrences and incidents
- 2015 Patient Complaints and Grievances Policy and Procedures continues to provide guidance in tracking issues to ensure they are resolved on a timely basis and that actions are communicated to patients and families
- The Patient Family Advisory Council, established in 2015, helps ensure we practice care that is centered around the needs of St. Charles patients and families
Awards and Recognition
- Given an "A" on a national patient safety test by The Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that ranks hospitals nationwide. (2014, 2015)
- Ranked among the Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report and rated regionally as “high performing” in orthopedics, placing 29th out of 250 New York hospitals (2014–2015)
- Earned first place for the 2013 Physicians’ Reciprocal Insurance Patient Safety Award
- The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® earned by St. Charles’s Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement Program (one of very few to be so honored nationwide) and Primary Stroke Center Program
- Recognized for the fifth time with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines® Gold Plus award for stroke (2014/2015)
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With The Guidelines® Silver Plus award for heart failure (2012)
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program Accredited Center
- Commission on Cancer (COC) Accreditation With Commendation for St. Charles Hospital's Cancer Program (July 2014)
For more information on quality and patient safety at St. Charles, please call (631) 474-6797.