With more than thirty obstetricians on staff and an outstanding reputation for quality of care for both moms and babies, our Maternal Child program attracts residents well beyond our primary service area.
St. Charles Hospital’s maternity unit welcomes more than 1,500 new lives each year. We are proud to offer a technologically advanced yet comfortable home-like environment for our families. Both the structure of the obstetrical wing and our nursing team approach encourages mother-baby bonding in a comfortable, family setting.
St. Charles Hospital’s obstetrical wing includes:
- 6 state-of-the-art modern birthing rooms
- 2 state-of-the-art operating rooms
- 16 maternity rooms, including private rooms
- 6 neonatology bassinets
Your experience in our Maternal Child unit will be supported by our compassionate and caring staff of Registered Nurses, Nursing Assistants and Certified Technicians.
If you decide to breastfeed, you may request a visit by a Certified Lactation Consultant who will provide you with private one-on-one instruction and answer all your questions.
Supporting our nursing team are clinical professionals from Cardiopulmonary, Rehabilitation, Laboratory, Radiology, Nutritional Services and Pharmacy.
Choices available to you when you have your baby at St. Charles:
- Individual care with your private physician
- Labor, delivery and recovery in one room
- Ambulation during labor
- Private rooms complete with bath, phone, TV and wireless internet connection
- Your support person present during labor and c-section
- 24-hour anesthesia coverage
- Spinal/epidural analgesia for labor (walking epidural)
- Spinal/epidural anesthesia for c-sections
- VBAC—vaginal birth after c-section with physician approval
- Mother/baby care at your bedside
- Individualized instructions on baby care and feeding
- Positive, helpful approach to breastfeeding
- Certified lactation consultant on staff
- Social service assistance
For more information about our visit policy and hours, please click HERE.
For more information on the Maternal Child Program at St. Charles Hospital, please call (631) 474-6797.
Neonatology Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
With its highly trained and expert staff, the NICU delivers advanced care for babies born prematurely or in need of specialized care. The unit features six fully equipped special-care beds. Advanced care in the NICU is provided by an interdisciplinary team and includes a neonatologist (a pediatrician with specialized training in premature or ill babies), neonatal nurse practitioners present in the NICU 24 hours a day/7 days a week, nurses, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, dietitians and occupational/physical therapists.
Infant Car Seats
New York state law requires that all children under the age of four years ride in an approved car seat. We cannot discharge any newborn without the availability of an infant car seat. If you already own an infant car seat, please have a family member bring it to the hospital the day of your discharge so you can safely and comfortably secure your baby. Our nursing staff will be happy to answer your questions.